Controlling my anxiety

My orientation for TAFE starts this Thursday and I would be lying if I said that my anxiety hasn't decided to show itself (though it hasn't been too bad). This year has been a year of changes for me and my family, not only have we had to find a new church (they found one, and I found two!), my Mum has had to find work (and my Dad is looking for work), my little sister has to start high school and to top it all off I start TAFE this year. Its been strange as through out this all my anxiety has stayed out of it until now, but heres the thing after living with anxiety (and the many levels of it) I have learnt how to control most of it ( I still struggle at times!), so here is how I control it:
  • Distractions- when ever I feel it coming on I think about something else, or blog, or read, or listen to music or what TV anything to distract me!
  • Prayer- sometimes when I feel it coming on strong I pray I say to God help me get through this and alot of the time this helps me think straight :)
  • And if the above don't work I close my eyes, take a deep breath and drink a glass of water and just keep going.
I have learnt to control my anxiety where as before it controlled me and sometimes in extreme (rare) cases none of the above work I just ride it out and hope and pray for the best.

Comments

Popular Posts