Childlike faith or faith like my Grandma?

In the Bible it talks about having faith like a child (Mathew 18:2-4 ) but no where (as far as I know) does it talk of having faith like an old person. My Grandma is slowly dying, she has dementia which is linked to Parkinson's Disease she is forgetting things and is having trouble recognising people, she can barely walk and is in pain at times but throughout this she still trusts God. Its amazing to see that she has this amazing trust on God even though she knows she won't get better and that she will only get worse. She still prays and though she can't read the bible when we read it for her she enjoys it. When she first started getting Dementia she would have trouble remembering the days of the week and we would often get phone calls asking if tomorrow was Sunday and if one of us was going to pick her up for church. She couldn't remember any other day but she knew that on Sundays she had church.
She watched as my Grandfather died from terminal cancer all while trusting in God, she taught scripture when I was younger at local schools, started the kids program at the church she and my Grandfather went too which is still going to this day, she ran bible studies and did whatever she felt God needed her to do. She and my Grandfather were missionaries over in India and both my Mum and Uncle were born there the only reason they came back was because my Uncle was getting sick.
Recently as she has been going down hill though she doesn't often make much sense she has been saying some Godly things such as: "When we first get to Heaven I think we will spend 10 years looking at his toes." and when we left her the other week (at the nursing home she is at) we told her to be good and not get into any trouble and she said "It's ok I am just hanging with Jesus as he can never leave me." I mean half the time she has no idea what she is saying but she can come out with these amazing bits about God.
Yes we should have childlike faith but at the same time I want faith like my Grandma never doubting God and always trusting him 100%

Comments

Popular Posts