Book review: Captivate by Vanessa Garden

Title: Captivate
Author: Vanessa Garden
Publisher: Harlequin Teen, 2014
You will like it if you like: The TV shows Mako Mermaids and H2O-Just Add Water, The Little Mermaid, Finding Nemo, the beach and the ocean,

Confession time I love mermaids and am kinda obsessed with the TV show Mako Mermaids (don't judge, its awesome!) so when I came across this book I thought I would give it a shot. Now though this book is based under the sea, it doesn't actually contain any mermaids it has a mermaid-y feel to it.

The blurb reads (taken from Vanessa's blog):
For the past twelve months since her parents’ death, seventeen-year-old Miranda Sun has harboured a dark secret — a secret that has strained the close relationship she once shared with her older sister, Lauren. In an effort to repair this broken bond, Miranda’s grandparents whisk the siblings away on a secluded beach holiday. Except before Miranda gets a chance to confess her life-changing secret, she’s dragged underwater by a mysterious stranger while taking a midnight swim.

Awakening days later, Miranda discovers that she’s being held captive in a glittering underwater city by an arrogant young man named Marko...the King of this underwater civilisation.

Nineteen-year-old Marko intends to marry Miranda in order to keep his crown from falling into the sinister clutches of his half-brother, Damir. There’s only one problem. Miranda is desperate to return home to right things with her sister and she wants nothing to do with Marko. Trying to secure her freedom, Miranda quickly forms an alliance with Robbie — Marko’s personal guard. However, she soon discovers that even underwater, people are hiding dangerous secrets...


I have never read a book quite like this and found it really enjoyable and an easy read. The characters were relatable and I could see myself even being friends with a few of them. The way the setting was described was beautiful and I found myself wishing I could visit it! The story line was easy to follow but still had twists and turns and the ending leaves you wanting to know what happens next but answers a lot of the questions you may have (the best type of ending in my books (no pun intended)!). It has this realistic edge to it that gets you thinking that maybe an underwater civilisation like in the book exists. To me this book screams summer and is the perfect read to take on a holiday (maybe to the beach?).

I have actually met Vanessa Garden (she works at a local book store!) and she is super nice and we ended up discussing our favourite young adult novels. I can't wait to see her what she writes next and love that this book was written by a local author.

If you're after a book you can't put down and is a little bit different then read this book :)

Please note that I was in no way paid or compensated to write a review on this book, though Vanessa Garden knows I exist, I just love this book and wanted everyone to know how much I enjoyed it :)

Comments

Popular Posts