Run for ReachOut

I have completed my first ever 'fun' run for ReachOut! I still can't believe that its over but I am happy with how I did. The timing of it wasn't the best as I had been dealing with a cold and when I get a cold as soon as I get a cough it likes to linger due to being asthmatic, because of that I didn't want to really push myself. I still completed it in 52 minutes though which averages 1km per every 10 minutes (the total distance was 5.3 km I think) and I know if I had done some more preparation for the race and hadn't been sick in the 2 weeks leading up to it I would've done better. My aim was to keep a decent pace and if I walked it in my target of 45 minutes that was great but as long as I got it under 1 hour (and wasn't the last person) I was happy.
One thing I was surprised about was how soon it was over, I hadn't planned to go to church after it but after finishing the race and getting back to my car it was only 9.30am and heading to an empty house just didn't seem that appealing so I went to church (still in my gear) despite going on Saturday night. I was surprised that more people didn't comment on how casual I was, it did mean that I got an excuse to talk to people about ReachOut and why I decided to walk for them.
On Saturday night after church I ended up watching the film The Castle and making s'mores with some of the young adults instead of heading home to bed. This wasn't the smartest idea (though it was still fun) and made getting up at 5.00am a bit harder than I would've liked, but once I was out of bed and getting dressed I was wide awake. There is something about getting up and leaving home in the dark which is oddly calming, of course it was so early that not even the cats were up.
All in all it was a good experience and I have already decided that I will aim to do it next year and actually train for it (famous last words?).
Thanks to all who sponsored me, I still can't believe I managed to beat my target by $104.50!

*I know the photo isn't the best due to the shadows but its the only one I have so it will have to do (plus the quality isn't the best as it was taken on my phone).

Comments

Popular Posts