Finding some postitives of being unemployed

Lately I have been focusing on the negatives surrounding being unemployed (so over it!) and today I realised that maybe I should list the positives as something different. I am in no way glorifying being unemployed because at the end of the day I would do ANYTHING to get work but rather putting a different spin on it.

You can binge watch various tv shows - a great way to pass the time is to stream various tv shows and it has meant that I can watch shows I may have missed when they were on tv. I am currently watching The Office (US version) and really enjoying it. In the past I have watched Greek, Degrassi, Brooklyn Nine Nine, Scrubs, Parks and Rec, Saving Hope, The Flash, Supergirl, Suits and the list goes on and on! I tend to watch them while crafting or baking and its a great way to escape.

You can volunteer at various places and challenge yourself - hands down being a Youth Ambassador for ReachOut has been one of the best things I have done. I LOVE doing it and the opportunities it gives me to spread the word about mental illness in young adults. I am also a mentor at the local youth centre which means every other week I go and hang out with kids at the centre and do fun activities with them. I doubt I would've gotten involved in either of the above if I hadn't been unemployed (of course I continued to do ReachOut during the 6 months I had work).

You can catch up with friends - I find being unemployed means I have more time to meet friends for coffee and catch up with them, its a great way to pass the time and help continue to build those relationships.

You realise that God always provides - being unemployed means I have to rely on God more and though it may be challenging at times it's a consistent reminder that God is so much bigger than I am when it comes to looking for work. I have days (weeks even) when there are NO jobs to apply for and I really have to keep reminding myself to trust God and that he has a plan for me. I know God has the right job out there for me its just a matter of time.

You get to bake more for different events - my church is currently running a course every Tuesday night for 6 weeks and I get to bake (in exchange for attending the course) and its giving me the experience of catering on a much larger scale. Last week I baked 4 batches of my cinnamon scrolls which was crazy but fun! I have also done a few private orders for friends which has been a bit of extra cash which has been helpful. I love baking and its great to use my gift to serve people, though I have no desire to turn it into a job.

You have time for crafting and painting - I have just finished making Christmas decorations for my friends and family and have been getting back into painting. Its such a great way to pass the time and I am enjoying experimenting with different styles and methods. I bought some small pots recently (they were cute and cheap) and after staring at them for a few weeks I think I have a few ideas as to what I can do with them, though I have no idea if it will turn out as I have pictured in my head!

You learn to appreciate the little things - whether its a nice sunny day when I can sit and read in the sun or finding a cute dress on sale, I have definitely learnt to enjoy the little things and focus on the present rather than the worries of the future. I find that I take more photos because I want to capture moments and look back on the good days when life is getting overwhelming.

Being unemployed is tough and it can be hard to stay positive when so much of your energy is used looking for work, but for now I will try to enjoy this period of my life because I know God has a plan for me.






Comments

Popular Posts