Another Challenge Conquered - No More P Plates!

Driving has always been one of those things I have struggled with, I knew from the moment I sat in the drivers seat things wouldn't be easy. I struggled at the beginning of going round the local uni carpark at 5kms an hour and the thought of even going on roads scared me.
My parents had to find a driving instructor who had experience with people with issues like Dyspraxia because they knew any ordinary instructor wouldn't do. It seemed like whenever I felt I was making progress a setback would happen and I would have to work twice as hard to achieve basic manoeuvrers.
When I finally pass my practical driving test I wanted to shout from the rooftops that I was road worthy and despite all the difficulties I faced I had passed the test. Of course once I had had my license for less than a year I lost it for 3 months, which was a huge set back and one that filled with me with a lot of anxiety. Of course God had a plan and I didn't need to resit any tests to get it back despite being told that I would have to.
Well as of yesterday I have conquered another challenge, I am on my full license! No more P - Plates or limited points on my license, no more feeling like a target for road rage because of the p plates and no more people joking that I am a bad/inexperienced driver because I don't have my full license.
It was strange taking off the P-Plates on my car yesterday morning, they had been a permanent fixture on it since I got it and it was strange looking in rear view mirror and not seeing one as I was reversing. I also felt really exposed like I can't use the excuse 'I am on P-Plates and am still a new driver!' when something happens (which is rare now thankfully!).
Once again despite having Dyspraxia (and anxiety) I have proven to people that I can achieve things even if they just take me a bit longer and I need to work slightly harder to do them.

Comments

Popular Posts