Five Friday Favourites

Another fortnight means its time for another Friday Favourites! Winter was in full swing this past week, with a strong weather warning on Monday resulting in storms, followed by the coldest minimum this year on Wednesday which meant ice on my car. I am thankful that we don't get snow here and our Winters aren't really bad compared to some parts of the world.

The job front has been quiet and on Thursday after a disappointing employment agency meeting I struggled to keep it together. Last year I thought I would surely have a job by my birthday this year (mind you I was thinking more March which has long gone) and with exactly 6 weeks until I turn 23 that's looking more and more less likely. I know God is in control but it's still hard to wait and trust in his timing.
I have applied to a couple of jobs recently and I am praying that one of those comes through with at least an interview, but again it's all in God's hands.

I am off to a Christian women's convention tomorrow which should be interesting, I haven't gone to one before though my Mum has been going since they first started and thinks it will be a great time. This coming week is a bit busy, with catching up friends and family along with psych and doctors appointments thrown in (#anxietylife). I like to have all my appointments booked in the same week if possible as it just makes things easier and I'm less likely to forget something at them as I'm in the correct head space.

Onto Friday Favourites:

Chasing Secrets by Lynette Eason - I received this book to review and while I enjoyed it, it didn't quite live up to my expectations. I'm not a huge fan of crime fiction but I just found this book too busy and it had a lot of storylines which made it hard to focus on the main storyline. It was still an enjoyable read and Haley was a likeable main character, but it wasn't the book for me. I will say if you enjoy crime fiction with a strong female lead you will enjoy this book.
The blurb reads:
Elite Guardians bodyguard Haley Callaghan may be in South Carolina, but when a photo leads investigators in West Ireland to open a twenty-five-year-old cold case, her life is suddenly in danger. Haley knows how to take care of herself; after all, she’s made a career out of taking care of others. But after an uncomfortably close call, Detective Steven Rothwell takes it upon himself to stay with her–and the young client she has taken under her wing. A protector at heart, he’s not about to let Haley fight this battle alone.
In a sweeping plot that takes them into long-buried memories–and the depths of the heart–Haley and Steven will have to solve the mystery of Haley’s past while dodging bullets, bombs, and bad guys who just won’t quit.

Chasing Secrets is out now

Backstage - I was after something to watch this past weekend that was fun and didn't require much attention and Backstage fit what I wanted perfectly. It's another Canadian show (are you really surprised?) and is like The Next Step meets Dance Academy meets iDream (if anyone remembers that show). There's 30 episodes and I am 2 thirds done and really enjoying it. If you are after something mindless to watch this show is it.

The Two of Us by Victoria Bylin - I really enjoyed this book and once I started I could not put it down. I loved the character of Mia and loved seeing her story play out throughout the book. Jake was someone who had clearly struggled and was questioning God with how his life was playing out. With both Jake and Mia they were convinced God wanted something completely different for them than what he had planned. The additions of Lucy and Sam were a nice touch and it was nice to see their story playout along side Jake and Mia's. I highly recommend reading this book if you love Christian fiction.
The blurb reads:
After two broken engagements, nurse practitioner Mia Robinson is done with dating. From now on, she only trusts herself and God, and she's focused on her eighteen-year-old sister, Lucy, and caring for patients. Just as she applies to work for an international aid organization, a phone call from Lucy, who's pregnant and running off to marry her twenty-one-year-old boyfriend, throws a wrench into all of Mia's plans.
Jake Tanner may have recovered from the physical injuries he sustained on the job as a police officer, but his heart has yet to heal from losing his former partner in the tragedy. He's poured himself into starting a camp for the sons of fallen officers and mentoring Sam, the adult son of his deceased partner, who's asked him to be his best man at his wedding.
Mia is expecting a mess when she arrives to sort out the situation with Lucy, but she wasn't expecting Jake. And Jake, who can't help envying Sam and Lucy, doubts he'll ever experience their happiness for himself. But maybe Jake's courage and Mia's caring spirit are just what they need to bring them a lifetime of healing and a forever kind of love. . . .

The Two of Us is out on the 8th August.

LOQI bags - there's been a lot of talk about banning the plastic bag and many of my friends were doing plastic free July. I am hopeless at taking my own bag so I decided as an incentive I should buy myself a reusable one I love and would actually use. I saw LOQI bags and knew that I had found my answer, not only are these cute they are practical, are able to hold 20kg and long lasting, they also weigh nothing which means in my bag where space is a premium I don't notice. There are many ways to fold it and roll it too (I like to fold it flat and stick it in the matching pouch provided) which means you don't need to have any origami skills to fold it. I got this cute one with cats on it but there are loads of designs, this one is fun and I would love to buy this one for my aunty who loves tulips.

You and Me - I watched Descendants 2 last week and really enjoyed it, I loved all the music numbers but my all time favourite was You and Me. It just looked so fun to shoot and I loved the song, which has been on repeat ever since!

Comments

Popular Posts