Five Friday Favourites

I have managed to survive Winter without a cold until now, it's not uncommon for me to get at least one major cold a season (plus being an asthmatic it can mean once it goes to my chest it never leaves!) and I was so hopeful that I would escape the sickness trap but it wasn't meant to be. Colds are never fun but on the bright side it means I can spend all my time watching Netflix and not feel too guilty.

Still quiet on the job hunt front but praying that will change soon, though on Monday I was at the R U Ok day convoy representing ReachOut which was interesting. I had no idea what to expect but I think I did ok and had some fun chatting to people about mental health and why you should ask R U Ok.
I am also giving a presentation on Exam Stress at a mental health expo on behalf of ReachOut in a few weeks. I am busy writing that and trying not to stress too much about it myself. I actually enjoy public speaking and doing oral presentations at school was an assignment was something I could do and always got top marks in. I am so thankful that ReachOut has a load of awesome resources regarding Exam Stress so it means writing the talk isn't too hard and it will be a fun experience (I hope!).
The week after the presentation I have a ReachOut stall at a local school which will be fun. I love school events as they are more laidback and it's nice to chat to the students about mental health and any issues they are facing.
I sometimes joke that ReachOut is my job during this time of unemployment and recently I feel that it is true but no complaints as I love every minute of it :)

Moving on to Five Friday Favourites:

Pumpkin, Spinach, Feta and Pine Nut Quiche - I made this last Monday and I am still thinking about it! It does take a while to make but if you spread it over a day or two its not too hard to make. The cheese in the pastry really makes it for me as does how deep the actual quiche is so you get a good pastry to filling ratio which can be off in some quiches.

ATypical - I watched this last weekend on Netflix and really enjoyed it. It's about Sam (Keir Gilchrist who played Craig in It's Kind of a Funny Story) as an 18 year old high functioning autisic boy who decides he should get a girlfriend and what happens along the way. I loved how it gave you a look into his mind and his daily struggles along with how it affects his family and friends. I liked the touch of Sam's friend Zahid who didn't see him as an autisic person just his friend who is struggling with getting a girlfriend and it was great to show that people with autism can have normal friendships. I highly recommend this series if you are after something a bit different and will get you to think.

Papyrus Cards - I needed an anniversary card for my parents and could not find anything I liked. I was close to giving up when I found one, of course it cost a small fortune but it was a lovely card (I can't find it on the website to link) and very them. I love Papyrus cards and while I do find it hard to justify spending a heap on a card when it's for a special occaision or event I do feel that it's worth it. I could've spent ages looking at all the different designs and styles and they are really beautiful cards.

Diary of a Teenage Jewel Thief by Rosie Somers - this was my latest read and it was a fun read. It reminded me a bit of Ally Carter's books and while it wasn't up to her standard it was still an enjoyable read. It did take me a while to get going and was a lot slower paced that I expected but Mari was a great character it was great to see her come to life in the pages.
The blurb reads:
Most sixteen-year-olds shouldn’t know where museums keep their rarest jewels (the basement) and they really shouldn’t know that vans make the worst getaway cars. But for Marisol Flores, a life of jewel thievery is a birthright handed down from generation to generation, even if she didn’t ask for it. So when a rival thief targets Mari and her mother, Mari’s more than happy to flee to the anonymity of bustling New York City.
Blending in is a dream come true for Mari, but keeping her former thieving ways a secret gets way more complicated when handsome Will Campbell sets his sights on her. She can’t help but like his terrible puns and charming grin...but when her past catches up with her, it’s not only her life—and her anonymity—that’s at stake.
Will could be the next target

If you like Ally Carter's books then you will like Diary of a Teenage Jewel Thief which is out now.

John Crist UberChristian - I have never used Uber ever in my life but maybe I would be more inclined to if they brought out a Christian version? This video is so funny and if you haven't checked out John Crist then you are missing out!

Comments

Popular Posts