Five Friday Favourites and why I'm maybe going back to Tafe next year

What a strange fortnight! I've had both busy days and quiet days, but nothing to really write home about. I had a stall for ReachOut at a school last Wednesday and while I knew it was happening I wasn't fully focused on it until the night before it hit me. Thankfully it came together despite the wind and my lack of focus and I got to speak to lots of kids about ReachOut.

I've also been looking into doing some study at Tafe, as the job market just isn't improving and I'm feeling very trapped by it all! I would love to work in admin but if I can't land a job in that area then maybe it's time to do something different. I had my heart set on doing a Certificate in Mental Health but after looking into it I realised that it wouldn't lead anywhere and at the end of the day I need a job and it's pointless doing study that won't help me get a job.
So I thought back on what I enjoyed studying in high school, what lead me to wanting to do admin and most importantly what would lead me to getting work. I realised that maybe I should look into studying something computer related, I enjoy computers and it's an industry that is booming, plus being a girl means that I'm an minority so more places are likely to hire me. I rang up my local campus and chatted to someone regarding the courses offered to do with computers, the course I had in mind (Cert.4 in Computer Systems Technology) seemed like a good fit and having done a Cert. 3 in business I wanted something that would compliment that. In the end she agreed with me and said that I just should apply and I can always refuse my enrolment if need be for whatever reason. So I sat down and applied to do a Cert. 4 in Computer Systems Technology which will not only lead me to getting a job, it's also a course that is subsided by the government as it's a skill that they want and if I do one additional unit I can also complete my Cert. 4 in IT at the same time. A bonus is that by also having a cert. 3 in business I am more hireable as I know how businesses work so the course compliments that well too (plus my previous employment is also relevant too). I soon got an email saying that I qualify for a place in the course and to wait further information on my enrolment. The campus I have selected to attend is also 2 minutes down the road which is great as it's local and means I won't have a big drive each day.
I have no idea whether I will accept it or not (I have until mid January), but its a step forward and something to fall back on. I am still going to apply for jobs and I'm in no way giving up, I am just going a different route and seeing where that leads me. If it was up to me I would be working part time in admin environment being a typical young adult but nothing in my life has been straight forward so why did I think finding a job would be?
I have always said that God is in control of this journey and maybe what I want isn't what God wants, maybe doing another course is a step in the right direction. For now I am going to continue to pray and take it one day at a time.

Moving on to Friday Favourites:

Bed Bath N Table Christmas Range - I LOVE Christmas and if it was acceptable I would decorate the house in November and every year I have to restrain myself from buying all things Christmas from Bed Bath N Table. This years ranges are really cute and there is something for every decorating style. This is currently on my to buy list, I also think this one is cute and I'm tempted to buy this one too.

Blue Ridge Sunrise by Denise Hunter - the blurb reads:
Former free spirit Zoe Collins swore she’d never again set foot in Copper Creek or speak to the man who broke her heart. But return she must when her beloved Granny dies, leaving the family legacy to Zoe--a peach orchard nestled at the base of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
When Zoe returns home with her daughter and boyfriend Kyle, she finds that she’s the only person in town who doesn’t expect her to give up the life she’s established far away from Copper Creek. Everyone believes she was born to run the orchard, but how can she make it her home after so many years?
Cruz Huntley never quite got over his first love Zoe Collins, the little sister of his best friend Brady. Not when she cheated on him during their “break,” not when she took off to parts unknown with good-for-nothing Kyle Jenkins, and not even now—five years later.
As life-changing decisions and a history with Cruz hang over Zoe’s head, tensions rise between her and Kyle. Even as she comes to terms with the shifting relationships in her life, Zoe still isn’t sure if she can remain in Copper Creek with her new responsibilities . . . and her first love.

I love all of Denise's books and Blue Ridge Sunrise did not disappoint! It's a story of redemption and of living in the present while also dealing with the consequences of the past. I wasn't too sure what to think about Zoe at first but I soon grew to love her and realised that she felt broken and unsure how to handle the challenges she was facing. Cruz was someone who had been hurt deeply in the past and pretended like he was over Zoe and moving on with his life but in reality he wasn't. It was great to see these two characters reconnect and see what God had in store for them. Life rarely goes to plan and this book showed it perfectly and how sometimes where God leads us can be better than expected.
The story was a delight to read and I loved how Denise incorporated the past with the present so you could see the whole story. I wasn't quite sure where the book was going at times but it was a great read and left me wanting more!
If you are after a page turner filled with surprises and love then this book is for you!

Blue Ridge Sunrise comes out on the 7th of November.


Best Ever Loaded Brownies - everyone needs a good brownie recipe and this is mine! I probably make these once every 2 weeks as they are popular and easy to bake. Unless its a special occasion I normally just put in choc chips but it's fun to go crazy with mix ins too. For an easy dessert I serve them warm with ice cream and hot fudge sauce for a brownie sundae which is a crowd pleaser.

The Engagement Plot by Krista Phillips - the blurb reads:
Six months ago, William stole Hanna’s heart and shattered it in front of millions of people on a reality TV dating show. And now the big-wig CEO is back on Hanna’s home turf in Minnesota and wants her to forgive him? Fat chance of that. But life is swirling around faster than snow in a blizzard, and despite her objections, teaming up with William seems like the only option to rescue her reputation.
William has never regretted anything more than the day he gave that ill-fated interview for the reality show, The Price of Love. But while he can’t change the past, he’s determined to fix the future. He just needs to convince Hanna to forgive him—and pretend to be engaged with him. Simple, right?
When the media erupts with even worse accusations, teaming up and pretending to be engaged seems to be the only way to salvage their reputations. Despite the media frenzy that swirls around them, an attraction neither of them can fight off begins to surface. Could this love run deeper than a scandal, or will old wounds tear them apart once and for all?

This was a fun read and if you love watching the Bachelor or Bachelorette then you will love this book! At first glance it seemed like a typical girly read but it was filled with faith and once I started reading I couldn't put it down. Hanna is someone who every girl can relate too in some way and who just wants her happily ever after. William is a business man who has turned his back on God and thought that by going on a reality dating show would make the people around him happy. Somehow both of them get sucked up in a scheme that should help both of them, it seems fool proof and what could go wrong? Of course God has other plans and the more you read the more you get to know about their pasts and what the future could hold.
If you want a light read with some faith filled moments then this book is for you.

The Engagement Plot is out on the 1st of November.

The Good Doctor - I have been trying to find a show that will fill the void Saving Hope left in me (but I am still not recovered from that final episode!) and came across The Good Doctor. Its about Shaun Murphy, a young surgeon with autism and savant syndrome who relocates from a quiet country life to join a prestigious hospital's surgical unit. Alone in the world and unable to personally connect with those around him, Shaun uses his extraordinary medical gifts to save lives and challenge the scepticism of his colleagues. I've only watched the first few episodes so far and I'm really enjoying it. It's great to see more disabilities shown on tv and it's really clever how they show what is going on in Shaun's head.  It's due to start airing on channel 7 soon so give it a shot and you might be pleasantly surprised, like I was.

Comments

Popular Posts